Thursday, June 12, 2014

Define Who I Am

"They tell you where you need to go
They tell you when you'll need to leave
They tell you what you need to know
They tell you who you need to be

But everything inside you knows
There's more than what you've heard
There's so much more than empty conversations
Filled with empty words"

                                                             ~Switchfoot




~Define Who I Am~


People try to tell you who you are,
But you need to define yourself.
People try to tell you who you are,
But you need God to define you.

Dedicate yourself to the principle of not pleasing everybody.
Dedicate yourself to who you are. 
Dedicate yourself to the principle of being what defines you.
Dedicate yourself to who you are.

Two sides to please.
You please one the other is not satisfied.
Two sides to please. 
 No one will ever be satisfied.

People try to define who you are. 
But there is only one who can truly define you. 
Only one to please. 
Only one to satisfy.

Come into my life and define who I am.
Come and breathe life into my shriveled lungs.
Come and let the ocean waves wash over me.
Come into my life and mend my fractured heart.

There are others who can walk with you.
There are others who can help you and you them.
God defines and places more into our lives.
Be your own side with your like minded friends.

Together forever beginning with a cry.
Together forever helping one another.
Together forever swimming in the saltwater.
Together forever mistakes and all.

People try to tell you who you are.
But you need to define yourself.
People try to tell you who you are. 
But you need God too define you.

1 comment:

  1. I was chatting with someone about my published writing career and not being able to follow the rules. Learning to submit to the Potter's Hand. Perfect poem.

    ReplyDelete